- Biodiversity conservation and natural resources management specialist with more than 15 years experience in Asia, Europe, and Latin America and the Caribbean. Specialities include project identification and design in natural resources management, biodiversity conservation, land degradation and climate change; using logical framework; collaborative needs assessment and problem-solving; adaptive management; capacity building; socio-economic and gender mainstreaming for Global Environment Facility (GEF) projects with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Expertise in strategic planning and institutional policy development, program monitoring, and results based management.
- NGO and Start Up experience with sustainability nonprofits and start-ups in India and USA addressing food security, water security and waste management for community climate resilience.
- Remote and on-site data collection, evaluation, analysis and technical report writing for gender, biodiversity and sustainable development policies.
My approach to work
- Engage diverse stakeholders in a safe and open communicating space; establish linkages between community members, scientific community, policy and decision makers and other stakeholders to understand community needs and capacity, resource availability, challenges to sustainable use of biodiversity, and plan for climate change adaptation.
- Identify and understand local capacity and knowledge base, history and heritage of communities, its resources and its diverse users to design successful interventions.
- Design non-intrusive and non-linear development interventions in a participatory manner with community stakeholders, respectful of stakeholder needs, timelines and their goals.
- Conservation of biodiversity in diverse landscapes including production landscapes; Agrobiodiversity and genetic diversity conservation in farming systems in urban, periurban and rural areas.
- Climate smart agriculture; carbon stocks conservation in soil and green spaces
- Climate resilience evaluation, and resilience tools including Urban Agriculture, Rainwater harvesting and Greywater reuse as Low-Emission and Climate-Resilient Development Strategies (LECRDS)
- Climate change risk and variability assessments
- Capacity building for ownership of climate risk reduction and identifying adaptation solutions at local level
- Strategies for climate change communication for behaviour and social change.
- Sustainable land and water management
- Conservation agriculture; LADA approach
- LULUCF and the agriculture sector
- REDD and the agriculture sector
- Ex-act tool
- Ability to blend scientific research, local traditional and community based knowledge with policy-making and resource management
- Knowledge of biodiversity conservation and adaptation planning processes at community, sub-national, national and regional levels, understanding climate change, particularly vulnerability, socio-economic-cultural impacts and incorporating this in design community based adaptation interventions.
- Intervention design experience built on strong functional knowledge for participatory community engagement and resource mobilisation.
- Leverage strengths of stakeholders in the community for innovative locally driven low-tech solutions.
- Cloud based indicators and assessments for climate resilient development and analytics.
- Creative thinking for reliable information in data deficient situations.
- Reconciling conflicting agendas in uncertain task environment.
- Speaker and trainer in public and executive forums.